What is AI?
- Artificial intelligence is a subdivision of computer science that is known for intelligent behaviour of machines. It is the capacity given by humans to machines to memorise and learn from experience, to think and create, to speak, to judge and make decisions.
- Artificial intelligence is a copy of human intelligence. It aims at reproducing the human brain’s function.
Difference between AI and Human Intelligence
- AI is programmed by human beings whereas Human Intelligence is natural .
- Artificial intelligence learns only from experience; human intelligence increases with experience and heredity.
- AI processes information faster than human intelligence.
- AI is highly objective ie., only on a factual basis no thoughts and feelings are involved; human intelligence may be subjective ie., it may also bhi influenced by feelings.
- AI cannot adapt to changes well, to change anything in Artificial Intelligence the program on which AI is made has to be changed; whereas humans can easily adapt to changes once taught to them.
- Since AI is in the primary stage, it cannot perform multitask well; human intelligence is born with the ability to multitask.
- AI uses 2 watts of energy; Human intelligence uses 25 watts of energy on average
- AI works on optimization of the problem; Human intelligence works on Innovation of the problem.
- The information we get from AI is more accurate; whereas information from Human Intelligence may be less accurate.
Artificial intelligence is an integral part of modern machines. It has made manual work easy and productive. Now that AI is used in almost every sector, humans have become reliable on them.
We come across AI almost every 5 mins on an average from Smart Homes to Smart Phones everything is Artificial intelligence. Here are 10 examples of how AI is been used in our daily activities
1. Open your phone with face ID
The first thing most of us do as soon as we wake up in the morning is to reach out to our phones. We secure our phones with biometric technology like fingerprint, password and face recognition. This happened through artificial intelligence.
2. Entertainment and Social Media
After unlocking the phone most people slide on to their social media accounts, like instagram, facebook, twitter and many more. From what comes on your feed to what not to be shown everything is managed by AI. Social media AI has ability to understand and sort contents then users connect with and also recommend similar content to them. AI algorithms are quick in spotting and removing problematic posts that violate terms and conditions through keyword and visual recognition.
3. Send mails or message
Messages and mails are key sources of communication. Smart inbox categorising, quick reply feature, auto complete sentence and many more are operated by Artificial intelligence. Tools like Grammerly and spell check activate when you compose your mail to give you an error free message.these tools use Artificial intelligence and natural language processing. AI helps in identifying and blocking spam messages or the message with wrong email typed by us.
4. Google search
Life seems difficult without a search engine. We have become so dependent on google. But do you know how google algorithms works? When you start to search on google, you might see a few search terms suggested to make your search easy. This is google’s auto complete feature that shows predictions as you type. The algorithm for artificial intelligence used behind this google feature is called RankBrain. Some brand/ product ads keep appearing on screen? Yes, those ads are personalised and appeared by AI on the bases of your searchhistory.
5. Google navigation
The work of AI programmers behind navigation apps like Google Maps and Waze never ends. Yottabytes of geographical data which is updated every second can only be effectively cross-checked by ML algorithms unleashed on satellite images. Google maps with the help of machine learning, learns about your everyday route and alerts you of traffic slowdown and shows you the best and fastest way to reach your destination.
6. Smart devices in Smart homes
Digital assistants like siri, Alexa and google home use AI- backed voice user interfaces (VUI) to process and decipher voice commands. From setting alarms to inquiring about daily news, digital voice assistants are becoming a major source to make our lives easier. They take your question, process it using speech recognition and natural language processing system and output the result via speech or text. They assist with tasks from very simple once to the most complex tasks. Some of the tasks they commonly help are
● Controlling lights and other internet- enabled equipment
● Setting reminders and alarms
● Playing music and videos
● Quick phone calling and messaging
● Online shopping and booking and many more
7. Smart cars and Drones
Few years back fully automatic cars on the road was a dream, now companies like Tesla have improved so much that we already have semi- automatic cars on the road. Self driven parking cars use deep learning, a subset of AI, to recognize the space around a vehicle. Companies like amazon and walmart are heavily investing in drone delivery programs and it will be a reality soon. If you think it’s far to become real, do remember that militaries all over the world are already in hand with successful drone programs.
Not just the above mentioned but there are many more fields that we come in contact with artificial intelligence in our every day routine. Whether we use smartphones, surf the internet, purchase things online, use navigation, listen to favourite music or podcasts, healthcare equipment, banking and finance, security and surveillance, play video games, AI is impacting our lifestyle in one way or another.